Tuesday, August 19, 2014

8.19.14 "Time's FLYING!"



 
Our "Lazy River" where we can study outside. It's really pretty because there is a creek with a waterfall we can sit by.
I can’t believe it’s already been two weeks! Its’ crazy that I will be in Mexico TOMORROW! Okay just kidding! I still have 4 more weeks here but I’m sure that got you! Haha! Well this week has been great! It went by so fast its crazy! So from my last letter some updates: The elder from my district that I told you left came back the next day so that was great! "The investigator" we were teaching went well. We got him to agree to go to church and pray about being baptized!

So in our lesson with him on Wednesday I had the strong feeling to give my testimony to him in English. When I would normally do it I would just read my testimony from a piece of paper because I didn’t have everything memorized yet. So I told him to listen and see if he could feel a difference in how I was bearing my testimony. So the first word I said I started bawling! haha it was so bad and it was a really bad ugly cry where you couldn’t breathe! I was trying to plug my nose so I could stop, but then it just turned into this loud gasping for air sound that was really loud. Let’s just say it wasn’t pretty! I don’t even remember the last time I cried like that. haha it wasn’t my finest hour. But I ended up getting it all out and talked about how my father was a convert and got baptized and had to leave his family for a little while. After I was done he said he felt the holy ghost while I was giving my testimony so that was really cool. Before we went into teach him I prayed for a spirit to be there, but I think I prayed a little too hard and it just over took me haha. It was a great experience and the spirit was so strong in the room. So the next day we found out that Mario the investigator we were teaching is now our second teacher! So that kinda made me even more embarrassed about my loud gasping for air cry. haha He is a great teacher and has taught us so much already.

This last Sunday I fasted for me to be able to understand more and get the language down better, and yesterday I already noticed a difference. I was able to memorize a lot more and remember more as well. It truly made me so grateful for the power of fasting! It works people! So for devotional on DOMINGO! was Jenny Oaks Baker! She is the daughter of Elder Oaks! She is well known for playing the violin. She brought her kids and they all played 5 songs for us and she gave her talk in between each song it was amazing!

So you asked about my Companion. She is barely 19, she graduated the same year I did. She was home schooled. She is pretty hard to get along with to be honest, but every day I try to find something good about her, and love her. I won’t say a lot, but she likes to prove me wrong a lot and kinda rub it in my face, so I have just been brushing it off. On Sunday I couldn’t take it anymore so I punched her and that shut her up. Okay, that didn’t really happen, but it did in my mind. What I actually did was sit her down and tell her how I was feeling, I was very nice about it and she said that she has had that problem and she will try and be better at it. But she is a great girl and helps me with my Spanish. I know we were meant to be companions for a reason. She has already taught me a lot and I really do love her for it!

Thanks again for everything you and dad have done for me! I really do appreciate all of your love help and support for my mission. I know I couldn’t do this without the support from my family! So we got to go to gym in the bubbles this week and play volleyball. I taught the girls how to serve and they did really good during our district game! It was fun. Then my companion hit me in the face with the ball twice so that was an experience.

Anyways I have some really cool blessings that I have noticed that have been happening. So first we sit probably 14 hours a day and it’s kinda hard. But my hamstring hasn't bothered me once since I’ve been here! Between working out and sitting all day its doing pretty good. The ringing in my ears doesn't bother me as much and keep me awake at night anymore! I was really excited about that. It is still hard to hear people sometimes, but it’s okay. So do you all remember when I was younger and we would read the B.O.M together and it improved my reading? Well the idea came to me that me and my companion needed to start reading the BOM in Spanish because I have a hard time pronouncing the words. It has been helping, and I know the more I do it the better I will get! I know these blessings are from our heavenly father and he is helping me in the ways I need most! I am so grateful to be here and be blessed in ways that I need the exact most.

I wanted to let you know how much I am really loving it here! Every night I go home so happy and just happy I am here! It’s pretty funny every night before I go to sleep all I think about are Spanish words. And half of the ones I am saying I am probably just making up in my head haha Dad I am kinda getting a taste of what it was like for you going into school not knowing what your teachers were saying to you. I mean it’s not as extreme, but it’s still hard. I don’t know how you did it, but you really inspire me to keep going when I get frustrated! Well I love you all and hope you have the greatest week ever! Thanks again for all of the Dear elders you guys send; it really does lift me up during the day! 

Love, Hermana Velasquez!

 P.S I don’t think I need anything else sent to me, but I don’t know where else my YW necklace would be? And also it’s silver. But I would love if you sent me a hand written letter with the package:) Love you! 
This is Hermana Cookerham... We rewrote a song into a missionary song... kinda, haha!

Mi amiga, Hermana Hoggan.

No comments:

Post a Comment