Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Must. Have. Candy. Corn....!




This is Felipa's beautiful backyard. It's like a jungle!!!


Me and Felipa, an elderly sister in the ward. She doesn't understand anything I say!



Hermana Manzano and me. Girls just wanna have fun?

So, we had exchanges today and I am staying with my companion in the same area for another 6 weeks. I was kind of getting nervous about if I would change companions or not because she is training me right now and I’m finally feeling used to my surroundings and to her. I know it will change eventually, but for right now I’m good with staying here. 

So, first things first; I have something very important I need to talk to you about. So, since the beginning of October, I have had a strong, strong craving for candy corn. I have searched high and low for these things but they are non-existent here in Merida so I need someone...ANYONE to send me candy corn! I don’t care if it melts. I can put it in my freezer and chip it off with a knife. I just NEED it so hard! Okay that’s all....

So good news! I am finally healthy! AAANNNDD I am starting to eat more! I prayed so hard for the food to be better and me to be able to eat it without gagging or feeling sick. And what do you know; my prayer was more than answered! I am actually starting to really like the food here a lot and actually looking forward to eating at the members’ home every day. I still have those days where I have to force it down and am gagging between every bite, but that’s rare now! 

About three days ago my companion and I went to stop by a less active member’s home. I had to go to the bathroom sooo bad. We were planning on staying for like 5 minutes. Anyways we went in and I asked to use the bathroom. I went in and did my business...looked over to find there was no toilet paper anywhere. I yelled for my companion and she didn’t hear me. Again I yelled and she came. I told her what was up and she left and I just stayed in there for 5 minutes doing this awkward hover over the toilet because there was no toilet seat to sit on. I yelled for her again and she told me the sister had to go buy toilet paper because they were out. So I was stuck in the bathroom for a total of 15 minutes. It was hot...and gross. I finally got out and it was the best feeling ever. While we were leaving she told me she had to take money out of my bag because she didn’t have any in hers. So lesson learned...ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE TOILET PAPER FIRST!

On Thursday we went to an activity for the ward. It was an FHE for the whole ward. They do it every week. It was really good. They had a great lesson and then they played Minute to Win It games. My companion volunteered me to play one of the games. I didn’t want to do it because I knew I wouldn’t understand the instructions but I went anyways. The guy explained it once and I understood what to do, then 4 other people came up to me and all at once were trying to explain it over again because they thought I didn’t understand. Ha-ha, but anyways I won and beat the two old men that were against me. I was pretty proud. I got a Twinkie for winning. We then went outside and played kickball. It was so great because about everyone played! Even the older people in the ward! Ha-ha!

Yesterday we went to a member’s house and taught them a lesson and had eggs for dinner with them. They have a son that is living with them and he is having a hard time with the church and other things. We gave a lesson of faith and trials, and how if we have faith in the Lord those trials can be made into strengths. I shared the scripture Ether 12:27 and I thought I would share it with you too. It talks about how we have trials in our lives, but we are given these trials for a reason. I know we can either grow from them and learn from them or let them beat us up. In the end of the verse it says I will make your weak things become strong unto them. I love that line so much because it gives me strength that every hard thing in my life can become my strength. The main trial I am thinking of now is the language. I can’t wait till that is one of my strengths! I want to speak this language sooo bad. I want to communicate well and say everything I want to say in the lessons. I know it takes time and it takes faith in the Lord. I know that this weak trial will become a strength in my life, because of the Lord's help. I know that the Lord can help all people with all their trials. We just need to be willing to get down on our knees and ask for that strength and help from the Lord. In the lesson with the members and their son I felt the Lord helping me express the words I needed to say that would help him. I was able to share some experiences I had in my life and do it in Spanish and they were all able to understand me! The Lord won’t leave you behind; he loves you because you are his child. He wants you to be strong in the gospel and have faith in him every day. 

I love you all so much family, and I hope you have a great week! I love reading your letters - they make me laugh and cry and cry-laugh at the same time. I am so thankful for each and every one of your examples of my life. Be grateful for all that you have. Look for the blessings you receive in your life everyday. 

Love Hermana Velasquez

No comments:

Post a Comment